Whether you’re heading to a holiday party, hosting a cookie swap, or just putting out a plate of treats for the family, cookies are a staple of the holiday season. Punch up your party go-to’s with tea this year. Matcha gives an extra pop of holiday spirit, too, with its vibrant and cheerful green pigment. Wow everybody this year with delicate (but easy-to-bake!) matcha meringues.
Matcha is a delicious addition to most sweet recipes. You can toss it in smoothies, chocolate recipes, ice cream, and candies. We love the idea of whipping it up in a meringue because it mirrors the frothy and light texture of a freshly whisked bowl of matcha. Matcha’s also believed to have some health benefits, so maybe you can feel a little bit less guilty about these treats!
- 2 egg whites
- 125 g caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon of Grade A Matcha
- 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 300 F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Whip your egg whites until they get foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar and continue whipping until you get stiff peaks, where the whites remain standing tall when you take the whisk away.
- Slowly add the sugar. Make sure that each new spoonful is incorporated before you add the next.
- Continue beating until the mixture turns smooth and glossy.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, add the matcha and beat until combined.
- Spoon the meringue into a piping bag and pipe small stars onto the baking tray.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Turn off the oven, crack the door open & leave the meringues in there to cool.
- When cool remove from the oven.
Even More Desserts
Want to try another one of our favorite tea-inspired cookies? We love using Meyer Lemon to make delightful, star-shaped cookies. Of course, you can always skip out on temptation completely by sticking to our virtually calorie-free dessert teas. From Caramelized Pear to Dark Chocolate Peppermint, we’ve got your sweet tooth covered.
What teas are you using to make cookies this year? We’d love to see what our community whips up!